Tuesday 14 July 2009

do ho suh: staircase

where do you work on your designs and projects?
I have two studios, one in new york and one near seoul.
that is where I make my work, where I give form to my
work. the conceptualization part happens in-between
places, when in transit, like in an airport,
on the airplane or on the train - those in-between places.
I think I have more inspiration when I don't actually make
something. in the beginning, I didn't like traveling too much.
but now it's part of my job. I have to travel a lot and I sort
of developed a habit to use that time for more creative
things. for example, instead of reading, I actually do a lot of
sketching during a flight. I carry a very small sketchbook.
that has been the same format since my college days.
I travel light too, so I always carry those little things and
make sketches.

1 comment: